Friday, June 25, 2010

Welcome to the Spirrel Monkey Blog
















I have been sewing since I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are of admiring my mother's embroidery work, particularly the rich colours and complex stitch work.

At school when we had embroidery practice, I found it to be one of the most relaxing lessons I had. As I got older the more I wanted learn, I loved fabrics and had a curiosity about how clothes were constructed.

Art and Textiles became my speciality at school, college and eventually university. I've done many different jobs and career ideas in my life so far, but sewing is something that is always there in the background and I always go back to it when I have career breaks.

I have therefore decided to share my passion with others. To show how to make simple items and how to recycle fabrics and components into useful and funky accessories.

I hope give you a guide on how to make items and what new techniques I've learnt along the way. Yes, what I've found is that you are always learning new techniques and tricks to save time and make sewing easier.

The two pictures at the top are a couple of items that I've have made recently. One is a simple coin purse made out of Robert Kaufman Fabric and the second is a fabric flower brooch made from a piece of cotton fabric I found in a remnants bin at a local market and two buttons from my button collection. This is just to show you the type of thing you can expect to see on the Blog in the future.

More updates coming soon, away at the seaside this weekend but this will mean an excellent chance to find some interesting fabrics ready for future Blog commentary.

Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment